Purported hackers stole US evidence to discredit Mueller probe: filing

Non-public materials from special counsel case used in pro-Russian effort to discredit Russia probe

Acting AG Claims Mueller's Probe Is Almost Concluded

That's according to a court filing from prosecutors Wednesday in the case against Concord Management and Consulting LLC.

President Donald Trump on Wednesday said he would let the Justice Department decide how to handle the special counsel's report on an investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election and any alleged collusion or obstruction of justice by Trump, his campaign or administration.

He has pleaded not guilty to seven criminal charges, including making five false statements to investigators, obstructing the investigation and witness tampering. "Enjoy the reading!" a tweet from the account said.

The government also said that the webpage "contained numerous irrelevant files" and suggested that whoever posted the material "used their knowledge of the non-sensitive discovery to make it appear as though the irrelevant files. were the sum total evidence of '[Internet Research Agency] and Russian collusion' gathered by law enforcement in this matter in an apparent effort to discredit the investigation".

However, two USA -based attorneys from law firm Reed Smith have surfaced to defend Concord and entered a plea of not guilty on Concord's behalf to the conspiracy charge in federal court in D.C. The company is said to be controlled by Yevgeniy Viktorovich Prigozhin, a Russian businessman who has earned the nickname "Putin's chef" due to his ties to Russian President Vladimir Putin. "We are like hundreds of others, but we are the one and only who got the Special Counsel Mueller database", the message from @HackingRedstone read.

Prosecutors say it employed hundreds of individuals for online information warfare operations and had an annual budget equaling millions of USA dollars.

Concord Management is being prosecuted in Mueller's investigation of US allegations that Moscow meddled in the American democratic process to help Trump defeat Democrat Hillary Clinton.

He is also looking into whether members of the Trump campaign co-ordinated with Moscow.

The prosecutors stopped short of accusing Concord of leaking the material, but they argue that the company's request to have sensitive new evidence sent to Russian Federation "unreasonably risks the national security interests of the United States".

Yevgeny Prigozhin is Russian Oligarch with close ties to Russian leader Vladimir Putin.

Since then, he has indicted 37 entities, including 34 people and three companies that we are aware of.

Concord's 13 alleged co-conspirators, who are all Russian, haven't appeared in USA court, and are unlikely to be extradited to the United States to face their charges. His company Concord did hire American lawyers, however, to fight the charges. They also say the Federal Bureau of Investigation determined the documents were not stolen from government servers.

Under previous orders from the judge, sensitive material in the case is kept on its own system that is not connected to the internet.

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Latest News