Coptic Christian in the Egypt City of Minya prepared to bury their dead, a day after militants ambushed three buses carrying Christian pilgrims on their way to a remote desert.
Just last month, an Egyptian military court handed down death sentences to 17 people convicted in a series of fatal attacks on Christians throughout the country since December 2016.
The attack was claimed by Islamic State which, along with affiliated groups, has said it was responsible for several on Egypt's Christian minority, including one that killed 28 people in nearly the same spot in May 2017.
The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for that attack.
President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi said, "I wish the wounded a quick recovery and confirm our determination to continue our efforts to fight the darkness of terrorism and pursue the criminals".
Several of the attacks have targeted Christians and churches.
A man screams beside a bus carrying Coptic Christians which came under attack outside Cairo, Friday, Nov. 2, 2018.
Egypt's Interior Ministry has claimed that, due to security and safety instructions, the main road leading to the monastery had been closed which prompted the bus use a back road.
A total of 19 were wounded in the attack, according to the Coptic Orthodox Church.
Attacks against Coptic Christians, who account for 10% of the nation's population, have been on the rise since 2017.
The group was heading to the Monastery of St. Samuel the Confessor, south of Cairo in Egypt's western desert, when Friday's attack occurred.
In May 2017, gunmen attacked a bus carrying Coptic Christians in the same area which killed 28 people and wounded 25 others.
The attack past year was the latest in a deadly series that targeted churches in Cairo, the Mediterranean city of Alexandria and Tanta in the Nile Delta north of the capital.
The attacks led to tighter security around Christian places of worship and Church-linked facilities, where metal detectors and armed police are routinely deployed.
On Saturday, a burned-out four-wheel-drive truck, which witnesses said had been used by a group of militants in white galabiya gowns, stood near the site of the attack. Local church officials in Minya province put the death toll at 10, but the higher figure could not be confirmed.