LOS ANGELES Conor McGregor's two-year hiatus from the UFC will end October 6 when the electric Irishman will meet unbeaten Russian Khabib Nurmagomedov for the lightweight belt, UFC President Dana White announced today. Step forward Nurmagomedov, the man from Dagestan who claimed the vacant 155lb strap by beating Al Iaquinta in April to extend his MMA record to 26-0.
The UFC dramatically announced the matchup on Friday with a promotional video to close a news conference promoting its fight cards for the rest of 2018.
The former UFC welterweight and middleweight champion Georges St-Pierre spoke to Submission Radio for a recent interview and admitted that he would be interested in taking on the victor of the UFC 229 main-event.
"We don't have time for a world tour", UFC president Dana White said at the UFC 227 post-fight press conference.
The 30-year-old later turned himself into police and last month pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct, meaning he will serve five days of community service and undergo anger management classes.
McGregor had initiated the bus attack in response to Nurmagomedov and his team's cornering of Artem Lobov, who is one of the Irishman's good friends, ahead of UFC 223. These two talented fighters have no love loss between them, and fans are anxious for the bout.
The undefeated Russian fighter challenged McGregor for a fight after the incident, which White had labeled "the most disgusting thing ever happened in UFC history". White laughed. "He's obviously lost lots of money".
The Ultimate Fighter victor added that he is not sure if he will fight at UFC 230.
Since then, McGregor's return to the UFC has been teased but the two sides couldn't come to an agreement.
"It's time to go, so it's time to go", Diaz said. Diaz says that White did not have his back while he was battling a lawsuit from his 2016 fight with McGregor.
Although Diaz alluded to unspecified legal troubles that kept him out of action, the veteran brawler also had waited two years in hopes of getting a highly lucrative third fight with McGregor.
Conor McGregor.Michael Reaves/Getty Images.
"Let's wait to see what the exact sum is that the fighters get, it will be officially announced by the UFC", he added.