USA general: Taliban may be behind Kabul attack

Seven attackers killed as Afghan forces stave off major terror bid

Suspected Militants Strike Afghan Interior Ministry, Exchange Gunfire With Police

In January, a Taliban attacker drove an explosives-laden ambulance into the heart of the capital, killing more than 100 people and wounding as many as 235.

At least one police officer was killed and five others injured in an attack on the Afghan Interior Ministry in Kabul on Wednesday, according to police.

"The fighting is over, the attackers have all been killed by security forces between the first and second security perimeter", said Kabul police chief Daud Amin.

"We broke their dream so that they will never try to attack military installations particularly the minister of interior", Danish said.

Afghan officials have said recently that their forces were battling militants in at least half of the country's 34 provinces and that at least seven provincial capitals were under threat.

A local affiliate of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) in Afghanistan claimed the attack in a statement published online.

Meanwhile, The Associated Press reports that a senior police official says at least one of the explosions was a auto bomb.

The attack started with a suicide auto bomber, then two other suicide bombers targeted the police station.

IS claimed responsibility just hours after the noon attack in Kabul.

Lieutenant-Colonel Martin O'Donnell, a spokesman, said that the U.S. army, acting on intelligence, used its most advanced mobile artillery system to fire guided rockets at the command and control site in Musa Qala, Helmand province, where the high-level targets were meeting.

Gen. John Nicholson, speaking to reporters at the Pentagon from his office in Kabul, says USA forces "believe it was a Taliban-Haqqani attack, but we're still developing that information". Nicholson said 50 of these commanders had been tracked to Musa Qala and targeted by USA rocket artillery.

It said this, combined with stepped-up Afghan offensives, "further raises the risk of civilian casualties, insider attacks, USA casualties, and other conflict-related violence".

"Violence and progress can coexist, and that's what we're seeing", he said.

He said the tactics used in the attack "track with" the tactics that the Haqqani faction has used in the past.

"This was a civilian residential area, which had no connection with the Taliban", spokesman Qari Yousaf Ahmadi said in a statement.

US officials have sought to compel the Taliban to enter peace talks by increasing the military pressure on them.

Last week, a USA government watchdog group said the administration's revamped strategy has made little progress against the Taliban insurgency, leaving the country a "dangerous and volatile" place almost 17 years after the US invaded.

"I call this talking and fighting", Nicholson told reporters at the Pentagon.

Latest News