Following developments on the issue of reported abuses on Filipinos in Kuwait, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Monday said it called for a "concrete action" from the Kuwaiti government to address maltreatment suffered by Filipinos in their state.
A placement agency on Leon Guinto St., Manila, covers up Kuwait as a job destination following President Duterte's order of a deployment ban to the Middle East country.
Aside from Demafelis, the death of seven other Filipino household workers in Kuwait are also being investigated.
The Philippines has placed a deployment ban on migrant workers to Kuwait.
According to data gathered by support groups for OFWs, at least 120 Filipino workers were reported to have died in Kuwait in 2017, many of them simply listed as "suicides".
Interpol is helping track them down in Lebanon.
The ban was sparked by Duterte's anger over the treatment of Joanna Demafelis, a domestic worker whose body was found last week inside a freezer in an apartment in Kuwait that had been abandoned by her Lebanese employer in 2016.
On the other hand, the flag carrier will be using their 363-seater Airbus A330.
PAL Spokesman Cielo Villaluna said four flights are lined up from Kuwait to Manila this week, starting with PR669 departing Kuwait on 13 February (Tuesday) at 4 p.m. and arriving in Manila at 6:40 a.m. on Wednesday. "Many OFWs have already reserved seats on regular flights for the coming days".
In a statement, Cebu Pacific (CEB) said it is mounting "a special charter flight from Kuwait to Manila FOR FREE".
The president said he could assure Filipino workers that the government has the necessary resources to look after them on their return home, and underscored that the decision and the urgency with which it was implemented were for the protection of OFWs. It has a maximum capacity of 436 passengers.
Cebu Pacific Air will also send a plane to Kuwait to bring home more distressed OFWs while PAL is willing to add extra flights to Kuwait as needed.
A group of recruiters expressed support for the Duterte deployment ban, meanwhile.
"If my appearance. (will solve the labour problems of OFWs in Kuwait), I might go (there), It's a wait and see", Duterte told reporters when asked about his response to Kuwait Ambassador to the Philippines Saleh Ahmad Al Thwaikh, who invited him (Duterte) last Wednesday to visit the Gulf state.
The organization said it will present policy recommendations to the President and Secretary Bello III on how to ensure the welfare of OFWs not only in the Gulf state but around the world.
"The President said he would not allow that Filipinos, especially the women, to be just maltreated by foreigners (in Kuwait)", the presidential spokesperson told a press conference in Kalinga.