The gunmen entered through the hotel kitchen, before moving to rooms 104 and 105, according to local journalist Bilal Sarwary, who cited an Afghan special forces commander. "According to initial reports, no Resolute Support or (US forces) members were injured in this incident", he said in an emailed statement. "Some parts of the building caught fire following the gunfire and grenade explosions", an eyewitness told Xinhua earlier.
More than 100 IT managers and engineers were on site when the attack occurred, Ahmad Waheed, an official at the telecommunications ministry, said.
The Intercontinental Hotel, located on a hilltop and heavily protected like most public buildings in the city, was previously attacked by Taliban fighters in 2011.
Even before Saturday's attack was over, authorities were questioning how the assailants got past the hotel's security, which was taken over by a private company two weeks ago, Danish said. "We don't know if any of them have been killed or wounded", Sabet said.
An AFP reporter who attended the conference passed through two vehicle security checkpoints.
Four gunmen believed to be wearing suicide vests have attacked a luxury hotel in the Afghan capital of Kabul - shooting at guests and setting one of the floors on fire. "I beg the security forces to rescue us as soon as possible before they reach and kill us".
The attackers appeared to include suicide bombers, Mr Danish was quoted as saying by Reuters.