Pakistan allows wife, mother to visit Indian man sentenced to death

Pakistan allows wife, mother to visit Indian man sentenced to death

Pakistan allows wife, mother to visit Indian man sentenced to death

Kulbhushan Jadhav's wife and mother arrived at Pakistan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Islamabad and met Jadav who was convicted by a Pakistan court.

Shashi Tharoor, speaking to ANI, said, "In one sense, it is a step forward because 22 months after they arrested this poor man, finally somebody is able to see him".

Kulbhushan Sudhir Jadhav, a former officer in the Indian navy, was arrested in March 2016 in the Pakistan province of Baluchistan, where there has been a long-running conflict between national security forces and militant separatists.

Pakistan authorities say Jadhav confessed to being ordered by India's intelligence service to conduct espionage and sabotage in Baluchistan "to destabilise and wage war against Pakistan".

"I requested a meeting with my wife and mother and I am thankful to Govt of Pakistan for this grand gesture", he was heard saying in the video which was played several times before the Foreign Office briefing.

"The mother and wife of Commander Jadhav sitting comfortably in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Pakistan". Meanwhile, the Pakistan Foreign Office has clarified in a statement that they have not granted India consular access to Kulbhushan Jadhav.

All the information about the meeting emerged through Pakistani Foreign Ministry tweets and images.

Islamabad defended its stance of not granting diplomatic access to Jadhav, insisting he is a serving officer of the Indian navy and entered the country with the intent of spying and carrying out subversive acts. TV footage showed a convoy of around seven vehicles escorting Jadhav's family in the city. It was not known where he had been kept before being transported to the Foreign Ministry.

On the question why a glass wall was put between them during the meeting, he said it was done "for security reasons".

Jadhav, 47, was sentenced to death by a Pakistani military court on charges of espionage and terrorism in April, following which India moved the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in May.

The ICJ suspended the execution, pending final judgment by the court. I crossed over from Iran to Pakistan about two years back while working with RAW and was apprehended by the Pakistani law enforcing agencies in Balochistan.

Latest News