NYC fire kills mother and 3 children, ages 11, 7 and 3

At least four people are dead and five are injured after a fire ripped through a Brooklyn home early Monday morning

At least four people are dead and five are injured after a fire ripped through a Brooklyn home early Monday morning

Relatives told investigators that the Azan family had an oil-fed menorah inside the first-floor room at 1946 E. 14th St.in Sheepshead Bay.

A rabbi who arrived at the fire site Monday morning told the New York Daily News that the injured dad was doing "better".

A fire that roared through a Brooklyn home on the sixth night of Hanukkah, killing a mother and her three young children, was touched off by the family's menorah, fire officials said.

A three-alarm fire that began early Monday morning gutted a single-family in the Homecrest section of Brooklyn with eight members of a family inside.

"So often, tragedy strikes at this time of year, and the holidays make it that much more hard because our communities should be celebrating, not mourning", fire department Commissioner Daniel Nigro said. Five firefighters also were injured while battling the blaze.

Police said the people killed were a 40-year-old woman and three of her children, an 11-year-old boy, a seven-year-old boy and a three-year-old girl.

Joseph Azan is in critical condition at Staten Island University Hospital, and his two teenagers "are in critical condition and fighting for their lives", Nigro said.

December is the peak time of the year for home candle fires, according to the NFPA, which said more than half of home candle fires happen when the flames are too close to combustible materials. The other two people made it out alive.

A longtime family friend and neighbor, Morris Levy, said the family had recently moved into the house. He said the father was a native of Israel and had at least six children. The FDNY is trying to figure out what sparked the fire. "The units, knowing there were people in the home, pushed in very aggressively". The goal of the mayor's remarks was to place responsibility for safety entirely on the residents by urging them to be careful about "decorations, electric lights, candles, space heaters and other items". As a parent, it's impossible for me to imagine what this family is going through right now.

Latest News