Police Officer Survives After Being Shot Multiple Times At Point-Blank Range

Credit 14th Circuit Solicitor's Office

Credit 14th Circuit Solicitor's Office

Orr got the maximum sentence for both charges, 30 years for attempted murder and five years for the weapons charge, according to the 14th Circuit Solicitor's Office.

Officer Smith was responding to a call regarding attempted theft of groceries from store customers when he noticed Orr walking from the store.

The clip begins after Smith spots Orr, who matched the description of a man who was harassing shoppers outside of a store, walking down a street as he talked on a cell phone that he was holding in his left hand.

Smith was shot in the neck, severing a vein, and another bullet hit in him in the upper chest.

An injured police officer tells his colleagues "tell my family I love them" after being shot in chilling footage captured by a camera in his glasses. "Come here! You better stop - if you don't", Smith repeats, while moving toward Orr.

Despite injuries and Smith's pleas to the dispatcher to "tell my family I love them", the officer survived the attack.

Orr turned towards Smith and opened fire, eight rounds total.

"Shots fired", screamed Smith into his radio as he headed for his patrol vehicle and the sound of additional gunfire is heard. "Take your hands out your pocket, take your hands out your pocket".

Circuit Court Judge Roger Young handed down Wednesday's sentence. "Oh God, Jesus. You know who shot you, Quincy?"

With the men just feet apart, Smith points his stun gun at Orr. She gestures toward a park and says a man later identified as Malcolm Antwan Orr, 29, in a camouflage hunting outfit, is under a tree some distance away. I am hit in my neck some place.

However, Orr took out the weapon, a 9mm handgun, and fired at Smith.

And as Mr Tompkins assures him that he will stay by his side, Smith adds: 'I can barely breathe.

After what seems like an eternity and much radio traffic with the dispatcher, during which a bystander comforts the officer, other cops and EMTs arrive at the scene.

According to WJCL, Smith is still on medical leave, but he hopes to return to active duty with the Estill Police Department in 2018.

Latest News