'Serial Street Shooter' Accused of 9 Murders

On Monday, authorities in Arizona announced that they had arrested a 23-year-old man in what came to be known as the Serial Street Shooter case.

Nine people were killed in all in a case dubbed the Serial Street Shooter.

Numerous shootings took place in a predominately Latino neighborhood of the Arizona state capital.

According to police, Saucedo stalked victims after dark, selecting people who were either outside of their homes or sitting in cars before opening fire with a handgun.

Phoenix mayor Greg Stanton congratulated police and other law enforcement officials who hunted down the suspect. "'We hope that our community will rest a little easier and that our officers will get a little more sleep knowing that the wheels of justice are finally in motion, ' she said".

A man was arrested Monday in a string of serial killings that rattled a Phoenix neighborhood previous year, marking a major break in a case that involved nine deaths and a dozen separate shootings. Romero, who was dating Saucedo's mother, was killed in August 2015 at a Phoneix apartment complex.

Authorities said they don't know of any motive for the shootings.

Police previously said at least seven people were killed and two others wounded over a four-month period past year.

Graciela Beltrán broke down in tears as she looked back at the life and accomplishments of her only son, Horacio de Jesus Pena, who was killed outside his home on June 3, 2016, after coming home from work.

Aaron Saucedo was arrested for a fatal shooting in April, but. has since been re-booked in connection with another 26 charges in connection with shootings from March until July of 2016. Investigators allege Saucedo pulled up alongside the vehicle and opened fire, hitting the victims more than 30 times.

Investigators received a tip-off from the community and analysed surveillance videos, evidence from the crime scene and witness statements, which eventually led them to link Saucedo to the string of deadly attacks.

She said investigators worked round the clock to connect Saucedo, who was employed part-time as a bus driver, to the series of homicides.

"The only thing I can say is thank God there's going to be justice and we leave it in God's hands".

Parents and family members of the victims said they were still reeling from the brazenness and randomness of the attacks and because frustrated police couldn't make an arrest sooner. The 19-year-old was gunned down on June 10 at 9.30pm while he stood outside a different house.

"When they showed me the picture, I did get a little chills", he said.

Saucedo is also implicated in the non-fatal shooting of two teenage boys on March 17, 2016.

The suspect struck again the next day but did not kill anyone. Diego Verdugo-Sanchez, 21, was shot outside a home at around 9pm.

Latest News